2011 NEA Human and Civil Rights Awards Winners
Every year NEA directs a Human and Civil Rights Awards program to honor individuals and affiliates who stand up and defend human and civil rights. These are the 2011 award winners.
- Mary Hatwood Futrell Award - Lillian Curlett
- César Chávez Acción y Comprimiso Human and Civil Rights Award - Shirley Sherrod
- SuAnne Big Crow Award - a group of students from Solutions Class, a summer initiative a Rapid City, S.D.
- Applegate-Dorros Peace and International Understanding Award - Kerri Elliott
- Lifetime Achievement Award - Rev. Dr. Joseph Lowery
- H. Councill Trenholm Memorial Award - Kerry Kennedy, president of the Robert F. Kennedy Center for Justice and Human Rights
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Award - State Senator Henry L. Marsh, III
- Leo Reano Memorial Award - Joseph M. Starita, a full professor at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL) College of Journalism and Mass Communications
- George I. Sánchez Award - Timothy Hogan, executive director of the Arizona Center for Law in the Public Interest
- Carter G. Woodson Memorial Award - Jeffrey Steinberg
- H. Councill Trenholm Award - Willie Worsley
- Virginia Uribe Award for Creative Leadership in Human Rights - Ferial Pearson
- Reg Weaver Human and Civil Rights Award, State Sen. Mary Jane Garcia
- Rosa Parks Memorial Award - Diet Eman