Sample Parents Day Press Release
For Immediate Release
Contact: [Insert contact name]
[Insert phone number]
[INSERT ORGANIZATION NAME] HOSTS "PARENTS DAY" EVENT
Event is Part of the National Education Association's
Nationwide American Education Week Celebration
[Insert City, State] — [Insert organization name] is hosting "Parents Day" on Tuesday, November 17, 2009, as part of the National Education Association's 88th annual American Education Week celebration taking place November 15–21. More than [insert approximate number] parents of [insert school name] students will be invited into the classroom for a hands-on experience of what the day is like for their children.
"We are proud to participate in Parents Day during American Education Week," said [insert name/title]. "The event presents an excellent opportunity for us to raise awareness about the importance of parental involvement in a child's education. Research consistently shows that the more parents are involved, the more their children succeed in school."
Throughout the day, [insert details and highlights of your activity].
These activities will be part of a nationwide effort to draw attention to American Education Week's tagline, "Great Public Schools: A Basic Right and Our Responsibility." The tagline represents NEA's vision of calling upon all Americans to do their part in making public schools great for every child so that they can grow and achieve in the 21st century.
[Insert organization's name]'s activities are in partnership with NEA, the nation's largest professional employee organization, representing more than 3.2 million elementary and secondary teachers, higher education faculty, education support professionals, school administrators, retired educators, and students preparing to become teachers.
About American Education Week
NEA's American Education Week presents all Americans with an opportunity to honor individuals who are making a difference in ensuring every child receives a quality education. The weeklong celebration spotlights the different people who are critical in building great public schools for the nation's 50 million K-12 students. American Education Week’s celebration days include:
- Monday, November 16: Open House Day. From national commemorations to local events, Americans will celebrate public education.
- Tuesday, November 17: Parents Day. Schools will invite parents into the classroom for a firsthand look at what the school day is like for their children.
- Wednesday, November 18: Education Support Professionals Day. Individuals who provide invaluable services to schools are recognized for their outstanding work.
- Thursday, November 19: Educator for a Day. Community leaders will be invited to serve as educators and get a glimpse of a day in the life of a school employee.
- Friday, November 20: Substitute Educators Day. This day honors the educators who are called upon to replace regularly employed teachers.
To help plan and promote American Education Week's celebration days, NEA is offering an online toolkit, complete with promotional materials, activity ideas, and downloadable templates. For more information on American Education Week and to download material from the toolkit, visit www.nea.org/aew.