Sample Substitute Educators Day Press Release
For Immediate Release
Contact: [Insert contact name]
[Insert phone number]
[INSERT ORGANIZATION NAME] HOSTS [INSERT EVENT] TO CELEBRATE SUBSTITUTE EDUCATORS DAY
Event is Part of the National Education Association's Nationwide American Education Week Celebration
[Insert City, State]—To recognize and honor the individuals who are called upon to replace regularly employed teachers and other school employees who are on sick or other leave, [insert organization name] will host [insert activity] on Substitute Educators Day, Friday, November 22, 2013. The celebration is part of the National Education Association's 92nd annual American Education Week taking place November 18–22.
[Insert organization name] will [insert activity details]. These activities will help draw attention to American Education Week's tagline, "Great Public Schools: A Basic Right and Our Responsibility." The tagline represents NEA's vision of calling upon all Americans to do their part in making public schools great for every child so that they can grow and achieve in the 21st century.
According to [name/title], "By hosting [insert activity] we will be joining millions of Americans nationwide in celebrating the hard work and dedication of our substitute educators. They often work a full school year and hone their skills with continual professional development. We could not do our work without their invaluable services. Substitute Educators Day provides us with a wonderful opportunity to say 'thank you.'"
[Insert a paragraph with additional details and highlights of your Substitute Educators Day celebration.]
[Insert organization's name]'s activities are in partnership with NEA, the nation's largest professional employee organization, representing more than 3 million elementary and secondary teachers, higher education faculty, education support professionals, school administrators, retired educators, and students preparing to become teachers.
About American Education Week
NEA's American Education Week presents all Americans with an opportunity to honor individuals who are making a difference in ensuring that every child receives a quality education. The weeklong celebration spotlights the different people who are critical in building great public schools for the nation's 50 million K-12 students. American Education Week's celebration days include:
- Monday, November 18: Nationwide Kickoff. Across the country, schools will celebrate excellence in education by hosting kickoff events and activities.
- Tuesday, November 19: Parents Day. Schools will invite parents into the classroom for a firsthand look at what the school day is like for their children.
- Wednesday, November 20: Education Support Professionals Day. Individuals who provide invaluable services to schools are recognized for their outstanding work.
- Thursday, November 21: Educator for a Day. Community leaders will be invited to serve as educators to get a glimpse at a day in the life of a school employee.
- Friday, November 22: Substitute Educators Day. This day honors the educators who are called upon to replace regularly employed teachers.
To help plan and promote American Education Week's celebration days, NEA is offering an online toolkit, complete with promotional materials, activity ideas, and downloadable templates. For more information on American Education Week and to download material from the toolkit, visit www.nea.org/aew.