Congress is taking up reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act this year. We have been down this road before and have successfully blocked troubling proposals. It is time to mobilize again! The House and Senate have completed hearings and have begun drafting reauthorization language. The timing for congressional action is not clear, but a draft bill could be released this summer.
Click on these links for information on NEA’s ESEA Priorities:
NEA Materials Submitted for Congressional Hearing:
• School Turnaround
• Teachers and Leaders
• Innovation in Public Schools
• Data and Assessments
• Special Populations
• Early Childhood Education
• Graduating America
What We Want:
Fulfill the promise of public education, by:
• Allowing students multiple ways to show what they have learned
• Helping turn around struggling schools with proven solutions
• Promoting innovation and 21st century skills
• Attracting, supporting, respecting and retaining great educators and leaders
• Providing more time and individualized attention for students
• Ensuring our schools and students have funding and resources they can count on
• Supporting greater parental and community involvement
What You Can Do:
• Get the latest news, sign up to volunteer, share your story, and much more at http://www.educationvotes.nea.org/
• Go to www.nea.org/cybersignup to become an NEA cyber-lobbyist — receive weekly e-mail legislative updates and send messages to Congress. E-mail Congress about ESEA at www.nea.org/eseaemail.
• Text NEA4Kids to 77007 to receive action alerts via text.