Get the Read Across Scoop
Resources for the press, media coverage, and tales from NEA's Read Across America
In the News
Bradley Elementary School students are ready to read. Photo ©2014 Brett Flashnick/NEA.
Under bright sunny skies, NEA’s Read Across America Cat-a-Van Tour 3 rolled south, beginning its tour in Columbia, South Carolina, to the delight of hundreds of elementary students. The tour began at Bradley Elementary School with students and teachers lining the school’s long driveway and the school band playing in the background. The Cat-a-Van arrived, accompanied by a Richland County Sheriff Department escort and VIP readers.
“This is such a wonderful treat for students and staff said Stephanie M. Johnson, second-grade teacher and Bradley’s Read Across America Committee Chair....Read more about Monday's events.
“Can you say, ‘Happy birthday, Dr. Seuss’?” asked NEA President Dennis Van Roekel.
Yes, you can! And yes, they did! Maybe not in a boat, nor with a goat, but 45 million students, parents, and educators celebrated NEA’s Read Across America this year, “in schools like this one, and also in libraries, community centers, and even in Congress and the White House today,” Van Roekel told students at Roosevelt School in Livonia, Michigan, on Monday morning....Read More.Listen to Dennis Van Roekel on WWJ 3.3.14 Detroit by neatoday
After covering almost 800 miles of ground, NEA’s Read Across America Cat-a-Van Tour 1 capped off a week’s worth of reading celebrations on Friday in Oklahoma with two school visits to Steed Elementary School in Midwest City and Horace Mann Elementary School in Shawnee....Read More.
- Get the latest updates on Week 1 of the Cat-a-Van tour.
- Check out our Storify feed for more highlights from the complete tour.
Follow the Read Across America Cat-a-Van Tour
The 2014 Cat-a-Van tour started February, 24 and concludes Friday, March 14, making stops in 18 cities and bringing a celebration of reading to more than 30 schools along the way. The tour is made possible through a unique partnership between NEA and Renaissance Dental, who have teamed up to deliver a very important message to students: 2 x 2 + 20 = good oral health and literacy habits. Along the reading route, almost 11,000 books, toothbrushes, tooth timers, and other goodies will be distributed to students to keep them reading and brushing at home. Renaissance Dental also will be distributing more than $30,000 in grants to public schools visited by the Cat-a-Van Reading Tour.
Check out highlights from each week of the tour:
Public Relations Tools
- Media Tips for a Read Across America Event
- Sample Media Workplan
- Sample Media Advisory
- Sample Letters to the Editor
- Sample Letters to a Local Newspaper
- Sample Op-Ed Piece
- Sample "Save the Date" Announcement
- Sample Proclamation for Local Government
- Sample School Board Presentation
- Facts about Children’s Literacy
- Read Across America FAQ
- Background on Read Across America
- Dr. Seuss’s Biography
Video Highlights from the 2013 Cat-a-Van Tours
EXTERNAL MEDIA COVERAGE
- KSAT-TV (ABC) | Video: Reading Tour Encourages Daily reading at Southwest ISD campus
- The Monitor | National Reading Campaign Kicks Off in Valley
- KEYE-TV | Read Across America Metz Elementary
- M Live | The Cat in the Hat Visits Grand Rapids Tuesday for Reading Tour
- KGNS.TV Laredo | Children of UISD Read Across America
- Laredo Sun | Read Across America Tour to Visit Schools in Laredo
- CBS Detroit | Cat-a-Van Brings Reading Across America To Metro Detroit
- CBS Detroit | Celebrating Dr. Seuss: A ‘Cat In The Hat’ Will Stop At Area Schools
- Daily Tribune | Dr. Seuss's Cat in Hat Visits Elementary Schools in Van
- Fort Wayne Journal Gazette | Canterbury Lower School students celebrate Dr. Seuss
- San Jose Mercury News | Volunteers Share their Love of Reading with Schoolchildren Around the Country
- Rockdale Citizen.com | Conyers Rotary Members Take Part in Read Across America
- NYT Learning Network | Serious Silliness: High School Reading and Writing Inspired by Dr. Seuss
- Observer and Eccentric | Roosevelt Elementary in Livonia Treated to Special 'Cat in the Hat' Event to Kick off March Is Reading Month
- Oakland Press | Dr. Seuss’s Cat in Hat Visits Elementary Schools in Van
- Indy Star | Read Across America Program at Sidener Academy
- WLTX-TV Channel 19 | Read Across America at Bradley Elementary
- The Colorado Statesman | Read Across America Day Promotes Early Literacy
- WAPT News | Read Across America Comes to Town