Research & Tools
Research, Reports, and Data
This report by McKinsey & Company has been widely acknowledged as providing a "common, neutral fact base" on the gaps that exist between students who are White or Black, rich or poor, and looks at the dramatic difference in student performance in students from similar backgrounds across school systems and classrooms. The report also highlights the impact of the gaps on our economy and on individual life outcomes, and the information will be useful in discussions on addressing the achievement gaps.
At this web site view and download a number of briefs developed by Thedocumenting the connection between poverty and the achievement gaps, looking at the impact of the gaps on our national economy.
- The Economic Benefits of Reducing High School Dropout Rates in America's Fifty Largest Cities
- The High Cost of High School Dropouts: What the Nation Pays for Inadequate High Schools
- Facts For Education Advocates: The Economic Impacts of Education (co-published with the College Board)
- Dropouts, Diplomas, and Dollars: U.S. High Schools and the Nation’s Economy
- Potential Economic Impacts of Improved Education
- Hidden Benefits: The Impact of High School Graduation on Household Wealth
- Healthier and Wealthier: Decreasing Health Care Costs by Increasing Educational Attainment
- Saving Futures, Saving Dollars: The Impact of Education on Crime Reduction and Earnings
This report was prepared for America's Promise Alliance one of NEA’s partners in addressing the dropout crisis. It examines the economic and employment picture for individuals with varied educational levels, including dropouts, looking at income levels, employment rates, and poverty rates.
- Focus On What Works: What Educators Need to Know to Move from Issues to Action
- Are They Really Ready to Work? Employers' Perspectives
- Poverty and Potential: Out-of-School Factors and School Success
- The Crisis in the Education of Latino Students
- Resources for Breaking Down Barriers To Learning
- Students Affected by Achievement Gaps
- NEA Research, Tools, & Talking Points on Achievement Gaps
- Effective Practices in Closing Achievement Gaps