Skip to Content
NEA's Message to Congress on NCLB
NEA's Message to Members of Congress on Reauthorization of ESEA March 21, 2007
1. Use more than test scores to measure student learning and school performance.
- Include multiple measures of student learning and school effectiveness instead of the current one-day snapshot based solely on standardized tests.
- Reward progress over time to improve student achievement at all levels.
- Recognize individual needs of students (Special education; ELL).
2. Reduce class size to help students learn.
- Restore the class size reduction program.
3. Increase the number of highly qualified teachers in our schools.
- Provide financial incentives to teachers who teach in hard-to-staff schools.
- Allow teachers who have achieved certification by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards to be deemed "highly qualified."
- Provide flexibility for teachers of multiple subjects, including special education and rural educators.