TELL MEMBERS OF CONGRESS TO SUPPORT, CO-SPONSOR BILL REPEALING GPO/WEP PENALTIES
The bipartisan Social Security Fairness Act of 2015 (H.R. 973/S.1651) would repeal the Government Pension Offset (GPO), which reduces public employees’ Social Security spousal or survivor benefits by two-thirds of their public pension, and the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP), which reduces the earned Social Security benefits of an individual who also receives a public pension from a job not covered by Social Security. GPO and WEP are unfair—they deprive educators and other public employees of Social Security benefits they have earned.
REPEAL SOCIAL SECURITY OFFSETS BACKGROUND AND ADVOCACY TOOLS
Other Ways to Get Involved:
- Use NEA’s Activist Toolkit to fight for GPO/WEP repeal
- Sign the Social Security Works Coalition’s “Strengthen Social Security, Don’t Cut It” petition
- Share your story about the importance of Social Security with the Social Security Works Coalition
CONTACT YOUR MEMBERS OF CONGRESS
Penalties for Public Service
See for yourself how unfair laws threaten the retirement security of educators. Women are disproportionately impacted. Tell Congress to support the Social Security Fairness Act and repeal laws that discourage qualified educators from the profession.
What Happened to My Retirement?
Some retired educators are paying a price for their years of public service. Does that sound fair to you?
- NEA's Position on Social Security Offsets
- NEA on the Issues: Social Security
- NEA Messages to Congress
- NEA Testimony to Congress
- Real Stories from People Affected by the GPO and WEP
- NEA's Partners in the Coalition to Assure Retirement Equity
Does GPO/WEP Affect Me?