NEA National Back to School Tour
NEA President Dennis Van Roekel visits educators across the country to highlight NEA's “Raise Your Hand for Public Education” initiative.
As students and teachers headed back to school, the National Education Association joined them on its annual “Back to School Tour.” NEA President Dennis Van Roekel crisscrossed the country September 9 to 13 to raise awareness about the organization’s bold new initiative to further strengthen public education through the power of its members: “Raise Your Hand for Public Education.” The tour made stops in Portland, Ore.; Salem, Ore.; Chicago, Ill.; Minneapolis, Minn.; and Boston, Mass.
“Raise Your Hand for Public Education” is a national initiative that aims to supercharge the drive for public education and student success. The foundation of the campaign rests on the strong belief that educators – not politicians or self-proclaimed “reform” experts – know what works. Educators have the best experience and expertise to lead and act for student success. The campaign has identified four simple yet ambitious goals: successful students, accomplished professionals, dynamic collaboration and empowered school leaders.
Read all the news from the 2013 Back to School Tour:
- NEA President Hits the Road for 2013 Back to School Tour
- Van Roekel Talks Class Size, Teacher Voice, and Putting Students First
Back to School Tour kicks off with stops in Oregon and Illinois.
- Minnesota Gets it Right
The second day of NEA’s Back to School Tour highlights successful early childhood education and school safety programs in Bloomington.
- In Massachusetts, Education Innovation is in Full Force
NEA's Back to School Tour Comes to a Close in Somerville.
NEA Today Storify
Scenes from the 2013 Back to School Tour
NEA is issuing a renewed call to action—Raise Your Hand—a national initiative to mobilize educators, parents, and community leaders who share our commitment to ensuring the success of all our students.
External Media Coverage
- Twin Cities.com | National NEA President Praises Minnesota's Education Efforts
- Chicago Daily Herald | Teacher's Union President Tours Des Plaines Touting Common Core
- East Oregonian| NEA President Presses for Greater Teacher Role in School Reform
Features interview with St. Paul Pioneer Press and interview with Joe Nathan (blogger and syndicated columnist)
- Oregon Public Broadcasting | NEA President Presses for Greater Teacher Role in School Reform
- Oregon Public Broadcasting | Teachers Prepare for a New 'Common Core' Curriculum
- Digital Journal.com | NEA President Goes Back to School; NEA’s Back-To-School Activities to Highlight “Raise Your Hand for Public Education” Initiative
- Hometown Source | Joe Nathan Column: Union President's Visit Highlights Potential Progress, Problems of More Early Childhood Funding