Urge Congress: Repeal Unfair Social Security Offsets
NEA supports repeal of the Government Pension Offset (GPO) and Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP), which penalize some public employees by cutting or taking away completely Social Security benefits they or their spouse earned.
Legislation (H.R. 235) to completely repeal the GPO/WEP has been reintroduced in the House.NEA Supports this proposal.
Your help is needed! Tell your Representatives in Congress: Stop penalizing public service! Repeal the Government Pension Offset and Windfall Elimination Provision.
I need more information:
- NEA's position, testimony, advocacy efforts, and more on Social Security Offsets
- The Latest News on GPO/WEP newsletter
- Facts and Figures: Number of People Impacted by the WEP
NEA's other legislative priorities for Social Security:
- NEA opposes any efforts to privatize Social Security.
- NEA works to ensure that public employees who are enrolled in and have paid into other retirement security plans are not mandated to participate in Social Security. You can make a difference. Join the nationwide call to action and use these resources to advocate for the repeal of the GPO/WEP.
Repeal Social Security Offsets Toolkit
Tell Your Story Form (PDF)
Report Back Form (PDF)