NEA Publications and Professional Library
One of the benefits of NEA membership is having a wealth of information at your fingertips. Publications of interest to NEA-Retired members include:
- NEA Retirement Security
Information to help you understand, defend, and strengthen the quality and level of retirement benefits for yourself and other public education employees.
- NEA Retirement Security Resources
Publications, toolkits, and Web sites to help you learn more about retirement security.
- Healthy, Wealthy and Wise—The NEA-Retired Guide to Maintaining Financial Security
This 50-page manual guides current and potential retirees through questions about Social Security, personal retirement finances and relevant law, estate planning, home security, and health care.
A Toolkit for Protecting Your Retirement
Protecting the Retirement Security of NEA Members: A Toolkit is a step-by-step guide to help you understand and prepare for the battle against defined benefit pension plans. Find out if you're at risk and learn what you can do to protect your financial future.
The toolkit is presented here in eight PDF files. You must have the free Acrobat Reader to view these files.
- Primer ( PDF, 627 KB, 19 pgs.): Describes the advantages of defined benefit (DB) pension plans and the weaknesses of defined contribution (DC) plans; the threats to DB plans; and the experiences of states that have adopted DC plans or have proposed legislation to do so.
- Glossary ( PDF, 66 KB, 3 pgs.) of pension terms.
- NEA Resolutions ( PDF, 46 KB, 3 pgs.) concerning pension issues approved by the NEA Representative Assembly.
- Questions for Investment Managers ( PDF, 42 KB, 1 pg.): What you should ask.
- Research Findings And Additional Resources ( PDF, 98 KB, 5 pgs.): Studies, reports, and a list of Web sites that contain useful information for promoting and defending defined benefit retirement plans.
- NEA-Retired Member Benefits Brochure: Check out benefits exclusively for NEA-Retired members.
- NEA-Retired Program: Find out how retired educators help protect the benefits and services that took a lifetime to obtain.