How to Join NEA-Retired
Membership is available only to retired education employees. Membership is available to you if you're:
- a former education employee
- 45 years or older OR eligible for a pension from a state's educational employee retirement system, and
- employed for at least five years in a position that would have qualified you for NEA Active membership.
NEA-Retired Members may:
- vote in elections and to hold NEA-Retired office,
- receive This Active Life magazine,
- qualify for NEA Member Benefits programs
- receive liability insurance when substitute teaching.
Retired Membership Dues can be paid in one of two ways.
- You may pay your dues each year. The fee for NEA-Retired annual members is $30 ($5 if you retired prior to September 1, 1973), plus your state dues
- You may pay one time and be a Retired member for your lifetime. The one-time membership fee for a Retired Member for Life is $250. Check with your state affiliate for state retired dues amounts. In addition Retired Life members receive the NEA-Retired Retirement Planning Booklet, NEA-Retired's comprehensive retirement planning manual.
Aren’t ready to retire yet? If you're an educational employee and have an active NEA membership, you can pre-subscribe to NEA-Retired. You’ll be able to take advantage of special offers and guarantee that your membership benefits will continue without interruption as you make the transition into retirement.
You're entitled as a Pre-Retired subscriber to attend NEA-Retired's meetings and conferences in a non-voting capacity, and to receive This Active Life magazine, as well as the NEA-Retired Retirement Planning Booklet.
Note: you must maintain your regular NEA membership while you are still employed.
Pre-Retired Subscribers are eligible to enroll only as NEA-Retired Life members, and the one-time Pre-Retired Subscriber Life Membership fee is $250 plus applicable state dues.