Letter to the Senate Finance Committee Supporting the Economic Recovery Package Mark-up
January 26, 2009
On behalf of the National Education Association’s (NEA) 3.2 million members, we would like to express our strong support for American Recovery and Reinvestment Plan, scheduled for mark-up in the Finance Committee this week.
We strongly support a number of provisions in the package, including:
- Proposed investments in public school construction, renovation and repairs, which are urgently needed to help all students develop 21st century skills. Such financing will help meet the over $250 billion school facility needs in states and local communities. Equally important, its enactment will stimulate the creation of thousands of new jobs in the construction industry and among the many construction industry suppliers, ranging from architects and engineers to roofing contractors and other workers who design and build our nation’s schools.
- The Making Work Pay Tax Credit, which would put additional income into the hands of working families and allow them to contribute more to their local economies;
- Payment for retirees, disabled veterans, and SSI recipients, which would put more cash in the pockets of retirees living on fixed incomes;
- The American Opportunity Tax Credit, which would help families pay the rising costs of higher education;
- Additional unemployment insurance, Temporary Assistance to Needy Families, and enhanced child support enforcement to help struggling families;
- Federal funding to help states meet growing Medicaid costs and other expenses; and
- Tax cuts and incentives to create jobs and encourage the use of greener energy sources.
We thank you for your consideration of our views and urge your support for this important legislation.
Director of Government Relations
Manager, Federal Advocacy