Journey of Forgiveness part 2
White Bison is circulating a petition for an apology by the US government on the behalf of the Wellbriety Movement.
Those feeling strongly about the need for an apology by the government may sign the petition on the White Bison, Inc. website www.wellbrietyjourney.org<http://www.wellbrietyjourney.org> The petition is also being circulated throughout Native American communities so that individuals may express their feelings by signing copies of the petition.
The resulting historical trauma is now understood to be a root cause of most present day problems affecting the Native American individuals, their families, communities and tribal nations. Elders, educators, health care workers, scholars and researchers alike now know that the disproportionate issues of alcohol and drug abuse, domestic violence, and disparities in jobs and educational opportunities among Native American today are symptoms of the intergenerational and historic trauma of the boarding school era.
On Monday, June 15th, 2009 the Wellbriety Journey For Forgiveness will stop in Oneida, WI. White Bison invites those who understand the need for healing from issues of the boarding school era to participate! There are opportunities for individuals, corporations, associations of all kinds, tribal governments, faith based organizations and others who feel an affinity with Indian issues to help make this life-saving event a reality.
We are asking those who support the Journey to help out in any of the following ways:
1. Spread the word! (Forward this email, tell your co-workers, your family, your community)
2. Come and support the event in Oneida, WI on Monday, June 15th.
(location and details attached)
3. Fund a Mile: Since White Bison is a non-profit organization, they are looking for contributions. You are invited to fund miles of the Journey by contributing $18.79/mile and asking others to do the same.
Participate in this historic and symbolic journey of healing and forgiveness by funding a mile or more. For more information or to fund a mile go to http://www.wellbrietyjourney.org/FundaMile.htm
4. Sponsorships, involvement, help or donations towards the planning of the event in Oneida.
5. We would like to have other Native American communities take part.
Volunteer contact people to help us get the word out in other communities.
6. We are also looking for tribal elders, historians, and community members to share history, memories, stories, trauma & grief or even the impact of local boarding schools on community, families, individuals.