Skip to Content

Full-time and Part-time Faculty

In 2007—08, the total number of full-time and part-time faculty at public and private institutions combined was 1,229,687 (Table 1). Of these, 864,835 (70 percent) taught in public institutions; the remaining 30 percent were at private institutions. Of particular note here is the fact that the percentages of part-time faculty teaching at both types of institutions are relatively similar. Forty-seven percent of total faculty at public institutions teach part time, compared with 44 percent at private institutions. Also, among public institutions, only associate institutions use more part-time faculty than full-time. In private institutions, both AA (a very small percentage of the private sector) and comprehensive institutions have more part-time faculty than full-time. Also, private doctoral institutions employ a larger percentage of part-time faculty than do their public counterparts.

Published in:

Published In


RELATED LINKS

  • Advocate 2009 Special Salary Review
  • Advocate Special Issue 2009 (in its entirety)

More Issues of the Advocate

  • anc_dyn_linksApril 2010
  • anc_dyn_linksDecember 2009
  • anc_dyn_linksOctober 2009
  • anc_dyn_linksJune 2009
  • anc_dyn_linksApril 2009
  • anc_dyn_linksSpecial Salary Issue 2009
  • anc_dyn_linksFebruary 2009
  • anc_dyn_linksDecember 2008
  • anc_dyn_linksOctober 2008
  • anc_dyn_linksJune 2008
  • anc_dyn_linksSpecial Salary Issue 2008
  • anc_dyn_linksApril 2008
  • anc_dyn_linksFebruary 2008