Florida Legislature Battles with Academic Freedom
Florida held two sessions to discuss the Academic Bill of Rights. Our higher ed member, United Faculty of Florida President Tom Auxter, testified at both sessions. David Horowitz was chosen by the Florida House leadership to start the testimony. The second session also included testimony from students. Listen to the testimony on the Academic Bill of Rights, H.B. 837. This legislation did not clear the Florida Senate.
All files are in MP3 format.
- David Horowitz, "House expert" and proponent of legislation (18:03 minutes)
- Tom Auxter, president of United Faculty of Florida, opposed to legislation that curtails academic freedom (1:45 minutes)
- Florida Representative Dennis Baxley, Education Committee chair and sponsor of H.B. 837 (2:14 minutes)
- April Westerman, Florida State University student opposed to the bill (1:58 minutes)
- Tom Auxter, president of United Faculty of Florida, shares faculty reasons for opposing the bill (3:04 minutes)
- Florida Representative Loranne Ausley opposes government intrusion into academia (1:20 minutes)