Resources and Tools
NEA’s Nationwide Study of Bullying
This first-of-its-kind, large-scale research study by NEA and Johns Hopkins University examines different school staff members' perspectives on bullying and bullying prevention efforts.
- Educators’ Guide to Facebook
The guide emphasizes the need for developing a school policy on social networking, and Facebook in particular. There is also a section about educators’ staying updated on privacy and safety settings on Facebook, which is useful in preventing cyberbullying.
- After a Suicide: A Toolkit For Schools (PDF)
The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) and the Suicide Prevention Resource Center (SPRC), two of the nation’s leading suicide prevention organizations, have collaborated to produce this toolkit to assist schools in the aftermath of a suicide (or other death) in the school community.
- Asian and Pacific Islander Students at Increased Risk for Bullying ( PDF)
Navigating stereotypes is a familiar challenge for Asian and Pacific Americans. This report examines another challenge–bullying–and what can be done to prevent it.
- LBGT Adolescent School Victimization (PDF)
This research article from the American School Health Association examines the long term implications of LGBT victimization for young adult adjustment.
- The Importance of School Climate (PDF)
From NEA, this research brief includes key factors to consider when assessing school climate and common features of evidence-based practices for improving school climate.
- Alternatives to Zero Tolerance Policies
In bullying incidences, research shows that zero tolerance policies don’t work. This resource offers alternative approaches.
- Girls and Bullying
This Focus on Women publication summarizes bullying of girls and suggests steps educators can take both to help the individual girl who is bullied and stop bullying school-wide.
- Bullying, Harassment and Hazing: State School Healthy Policy Database
This database from the National Association of State Boards of Education (NASBE) provides a listing of all current state policies addressing bullying. There is an overview, plus links to the full legislative language, for each state.
- Bullying Infographics
View our multimedia page with current videos and slideshows concerning bullying.
Bully Free Resources for ESPs
- Clerical Services/Administrative ESPs Bullying Prevention (PDF)
- Food Services ESPs and Bullying Prevention (PDF)
- Paraeducators and Student-to-Student Bullying (PDF)
- Bus Drivers and Bullying Prevention (PDF)
- Health and Student Services ESPs Bullying Prevention (PDF)
- Custodial and Maintenance Services Bullying Prevention (PDF)
Click here for more bullying resources.
Steps to Stop and Prevent Bullying
- Pay attention.
- Don’t ignore it
- When you see something – do something.
- Remain calm.
- Deal with students individually.