"BULLY" the Documentary
This is a movie every educator will want to see.
Award-winning director Lee Hirsch takes us on a journey inside the real lives of young people who day-in and day-out are tormented by bullies. You will never forget these kids. Hirsch gives voice to the voiceless, and his movie dispels forever the myth that "kids-will-be-kids" and bullying is a harmless rite of passage. "BULLY" will move you while you’re watching it and long afterwards. Here are some points to consider and actions to take.
Points to Consider and Actions to Take:
- Despite the tears and torment in "BULLY," there is also abiding hope in this movie— it shows that adults and students can do something about bullying.
- Go to the BULLY documentary website and you will see that the people who made this movie are not out to trash public education and public school employees. They want to help up us eliminate bullying from our schools. They, like us, care what happens to our children.
- Yes, some people may use "BULLY" to bash the adults who work in the schools attended by the students in the movie. Instead, we should focus attention and positive energy on solving the problem. Let us take the lead in creating safe, bully-free learning environments for all students.
- The film and its website beautifully complement NEA's Bully Free Campaign. If you haven’t already, please take the Bully Free: It Starts With Me pledge. Our students need more caring adults in their lives.
- As advocates of a great public school for every student, we can use "BULLY" to remind ourselves and others that our work in preventing bullying is far from over. Every school board in America should see this movie.
- The issue of bullying is at the tipping point. NEA research shows that teachers and education support professionals across the country want to prevent bullying but need training in how to do so. Will the push by "BULLY," the Bully Project, and all of our bully prevention partners, be the difference maker? That’s really up to us.
- Check out A Guide to the Film Bully.
- See the movie. It will renew your commitment.