BAM! Body and Mind
BAM! Body and Mind (CDC) gives students in grades 5-8 information they need to make healthy lifestyle choices. It focuses on disease, food and nutrition, physical activity, safety, stress, and the body. The site has games, quizzes, and other interactive features.
BAM! Body and Mind provides teachers with interactive, educational, and fun activities that are linked to the national education standards for science and health:
- The Immune Platoon is an superhero-styled interactive that describes in general terms how the immune system works. It then provides case files (PDFs) for 10 diseases that can be avoided through immunization. Flash and non-Flash versions are available, and the sound can be turned off.
- Dining Decisions is a game in which players race a clock to choose the best five foods in the school cafeteria to build a balanced meal. After a player’s tray is filled or when the clock runs out a nutritional analysis is provided.
- Activity Cards describe 31 physical activities. The bicycle card, for example, introduces an expert, describes types of bikes and cycling, gear needed, and provides safety tips. Each card has fun facts and links to offsite resources.
- Your Safety suggests how to have fun and stay safe at the same time. Topics include helmets, sun exposure, heat and hydration, ticks, and more.
- Ad Decoder uses interactive magazines to analyze advertising. Turn the pages of two magazines typically aimed at boys and girls and study the ads, and then mouse over to read interpretations of techniques used.
- Michael’s Inside Scoop is a primer on genes and inheritance. A virtual microscope provides a look inside cells down to the level of DNA. After exploring the material, users can test their genetic smarts with a brief quiz.
This is just a sample of the kids website. The Game Room has nine activities. The Activity Calendar can be prepared and printed for a week at a time. And there’s more engaging health information for middle schoolers.
For educators, the Teacher’s Corner has activities, downloads, and related materials.