5 Resources for Teaching Metamorphosis
Here are some resources for students learning about metamorphosis.
- Metamorphosis is in two parts, a movie that illustrates complete and incomplete metamorphosis with a monarch butterfly and damselfly, and a quiz that reviews understanding of the stages of complete and incomplete metamorphosis. The movie is suitable for grades K-5, the quiz for grades 3-8.
- Inside the Chrysalis is a more detailed description of the complete rebuilding inside the monarch’s chrysalis. Text and audio are for grades 6-12.
- Metamorphosis: Nature’s Ultimate Transformer includes text, video, and photos for a discussion of complete and incomplete metamorphosis in insects and amphibians. It includes a quiz, puzzles, coloring page, and a Manduca growth experiment with three options, a quick virtual lab, a full virtual lab, and a grow-your-own Manduca at warm and cool temperatures. The site is available in Spanish. For grades 4-8.
- Stages of Metamorphosis: Fortune Teller Game ( PDF, 500 KB, 3 pgs.). Students in grades 4-8 can review and study aspects of metamorphosis with the fortuneteller and worksheet. An answer sheet is included.
- Metamorphosis: The Science of Change is a one-hour BBC program that examines metamorphosis in the animal kingdom and as it has been used as metaphor in literature. For grades 9-12.