Math Awareness Month, Grades 9-12
2014 Theme: Mathematics, Magic, and Mystery
Curriculum resources, including lesson plans, background reading, printables and video, for grades 9-12 address the 2014 Math Awareness Month theme: Mathematics, Magic, and Mystery.
It celebrates Martin Gardner and features 30 days of videos and articles on mathematical magic tricks, mysteries, puzzles, illusions, and more.
Students in grades 6-12 use spreadsheets to explore Armstrong numbers and identify all Armstrong numbers less than 1000.
Tower of Hanoi
Students in grades 6-12 try to move discs from the left peg to the right peg using the fewest number of moves.
Students in grades 9-12 explore polynomials by solving puzzlers.
The Daily Set Puzzle
Find the six sets. An online version of the card game.
Ghost In The Mansion
Can the ghost float through all of the doors of the ground floor without reusing a door twice?
Find the number x that satisfies two properties.
Includes an explanation.
An online version of the board game played by two players, the codemaker and the codebreaker.
Recreational National Library Of Virtual Manipulatives: Games
13 games for K-12.
These puzzles require only logical reasoning, no mathematical knowledge.
78 puzzles with solutions.
A blog with recreational math activities.
Mathematical Games Puzzles And Problems
Games with dice, cards, numbers, and more.
Erich’s Math Puzzles
More challenging problems. Explore mathematician Erich Friedman’s website for even more puzzles.
- Mathematics Awareness Month 2014: Mathematics, Magic, and Mystery
- Selected Articles and Websites About and by Martin Gardner
- Math Awareness Month Facebook Page
- Activities and Puzzles
Ideas and puzzles.
- This Is Math? Finding a Way Into Mathematical Thinking via Puzzles & Games (K-6) ( PDF, 364 KB, 4 pgs.)
- Seven Puzzles You Think You Must Not Have Heard Correctly ( PDF, 86.2 KB, 5 pgs.)
- Master of Recreational Mathematics—And Much More: An Interview with Martin Gardner ( PDF, 1.1 MB, 4 pgs.)
- Interview with Martin Gardner ( PDF, 3.1 MB, 10 pgs.)
- American Mathematical Society
Math Awareness Month-Related Resources
- Recreational Mathematics from Wolfram MathWorld
A collection of resources.
- Theme Poster ( PDF, 8 MB, 1 pg.)
PDF of full-size theme poster.
Recreational Mathematics ( PDF, 1.1 MB, 33 pgs.)
A chapter from Famous Puzzles of Great Mathematicians by Miodrag S. Petković that includes puzzles and answers.
Mathematical Puzzles: A Connoisseur’s Collection ( PDF, 2.4 MB, 146 pgs.)
Complete book by Peter Winkler.
Discovering the Art of Mathematics: Games and Puzzles ( PDF, 6.4 MB, 130 pgs.)
Complete book by Ecke, von Renesse, Fleron, and Hotchkiss.
last updated: April 2, 2014