Memorial Day Lesson Ideas, Grades 6-8
Curriculum Resources that Reinforce the Meaning Behind Memorial Day Observances
Memorial Day: Graphing Our History of Sacrifice
Students in grades 3-12 use an online graphing tool to graph America's war dead to understand the significance of Memorial Day.
The Massachusetts 54th Regiment: Honoring the Heroes
Students in grades 6-8 analyze The Robert Gould Shaw and Massachusetts 54th Regiment Memorial, read and answer questions about Shaw and the 54th regiment, pose for a photograph like the men in the sculpture, and then create a comic strip featuring one of the heroes of this regiment.
Women Aviators in World War II: "Fly Girls"
Students in grades 6-8 explore the contributions of the Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASPs) during World War II, examine portrayals of women in World War II posters (and newsreels), and compare them with personal recollections of the WASPs.
Additional grade 6-12 lesson plans, interactive online exhibits, and resources.
"The First Decoration Day"
A brief description of the May 1st, 1865 Charleston, South Carolina Memorial Day celebration.
The Other Decoration Day Speech
Text of speech given by Frederick Douglass at Arlington National Cemetery, Virginia, on Decoration Day, May 30, 1871
- Memorial Day History
- Americans Killed in Action, Numbers, American War Library
- The Women Who Gave Their Lives
- Poems about War
- The Poetry Foundation: War
- The Memorial Day Poppy
- The story behind the poppy
- History of Memorial Day - 27 short videos
Memorial Day Printables
9 activities including word search, crossword, coloring pages
Word search, word scramble, alphabet patterns
- VA Kids Games & Activities - Word Jumble (Moderate to Difficult)
- Memorial Day Middies Crossword (Moderate)
- Remembrance Poppy Coloring Page-Patriotic Memorial Day Colouring Sheet
- Remembrance Day and Veteran's Day Themed Coloring Pages
last updated: April 26, 2013