Promoting Physical Fitness, Grades K-5
Classroom Resources that Reinforce the Benefits of Physical Fitness
Get active, stay fit and have fun doing it with sports, games, and activities described in the following lesson plans and resources.
Students in grades K-2 are divided into teams with different color jerseys, use scooters to collect objects (only one at a time), and place the objects in a garbage can marked with their colored jersey.
Students in grades K-2 practice different balancing skills at eight stations.
Survivor Island Field Day
Students in grades K-6 use teamwork and leadership skills to complete nine cooperative challenges.
Mission "Possible" Fitness
Students in grades 3-5 work in small groups to complete six different missions together.
Lesson Plan Collections
PE Central: Lesson Plans for Physical Education Teachers
A collection of more than 2000 K-12 health and physical education lessons and assessment ideas.
Games Kids Play
This site gives instructions for hundreds of outdoor activities. Included are traditional games and jump rope rhymes.
Playground games in England
Some of these playground games are familiar. Some like Conkers and Please Mr. Crocodile are not.
Cooperative Games: The Ultimate Camp Resource
72 games that encourage teamwork and active participation from everyone.
History, rules and ho-to information, including field and court dimensions, for a variety of sports from bocce to volleyball.
Sports: The History and Evolution
Modern sports history, including influences on popular culture and politics, and the origins of various sports and sporting events.
History of Sports: A Quick History of Sports
Hockey, football, basketball, tennis, the Olympics, and ancient sports.
Streetplay.com: Stickball, handball, spaldeens, and more!
Documents city games. Includes galleries of photographs.
Today in Sport
Events, birthdays and deaths in sport for every day in history from a wide variety of sports.
Sports Coaching Skills
Videos and animations demonstrate 1,000s of coaching drills. Free membership and registration for individual sports.
- Sports Rules
- Sport Dictionary - Sports Terms and Definitions>
- Sports Nutrition
- A Guide to Eating for Sports
- Sports Nutrition Guidelines for the Vegetarian
Find these materials online:
Cross-Curricular Connections with Sports
Books connecting sports to other disciplines for students in grades 2-12.
Sports Encyclopedia North America
Edited by John D. Windhausen
- Children's Games in Street and Playground: Chasing, Catching, Seeking, Hunting, Racing, Dueling, Exerting, Daring, Guessing, Acting, and Pretending
By Iona and Peter Opie
Floris Books (January 2009)
- Children's Games with Things: Marbles, Fivestones, Throwing and Catching, Gambling, Hopscotch, Chucking and Pitching, Ball-Bouncing, Skipping, Tops and Tipcat
By Iona and Peter Opie
Oxford University Press, USA (April 23, 1998)
- The Lore of the Playground: One Hundred Years of Children's Games, Rhymes and Traditions
By Steve Roud
Random House UK (November 1, 2010)
- The New Games
By New Games Foundation
Main Street Books (September 8, 1976)
- More New Games
By New games Foundation
Main Street Books (September 9, 1981)
- Best New Games
By Dale Lefevre
Human Kinetics; 1 edition (November 5, 2001)
- Kick the Can, and over 800 Other Active Games and Sports for All Ages
By Darwin Hindman
Pearson Prentice Hall (March 1978)
- Children’s Games: Complete Painting by Pieter Bruegel the Elder (circa 1560)
- Children's Games: Details from Pieter Brueghel's Painting (circa 1560)
- Opie Collection of Children's Games and Songs
Audio recordings of familiar and unfamiliar children's games and songs.
- Baseball: A Film by Ken Burns (1380 minutes)
Last Updated: April 6, 2015