Free Virtual Literature Circles
April 22, 2009
My students have been using a variety of free technology tools for work on their virtual literature circles. We set up our main website on Wikispaces, and the literature circle wiki can be found at wandawiki.wikispaces.com. Students not only created and collaborated on their wikis, but they used free technology tools to embed multimedia elements in their wikis:
- VoiceThread to create narrated slide shows,
- Wordle to create word clouds,
- Newspaper Clipping Generator to create simulations of newspaper clippings,
- Morgue File and the Library of Congress: American Memory to find copyright-free images suitable for the presentations, and
- EasyBib to create bibliographies and citations for the information and images not of their own creation.
We had a lot of fun creating our wikis, but we also worked very hard and learned some things the hard way as we went along. We’re very proud of our published wikis and like to encourage others to visit and leave comments on the discussion pages.