Can Do Challenge
Here is a fun way to help students overcome 'I can't do it' thinking. While students are sitting at their desks, tell them to:
- Lift your right foot off the floor and make clockwise circles.
- Now, while doing this, draw the number 6 in the air with your right hand.
- Your foot will change directions and there is nothing you can do about it.
- Let them try it a few times and see if anyone finds the solution.
- Then tell them, 'You CAN do something about it.'
- Lift your right foot off the floor and make clockwise circles. Now, while doing this, draw the number 6 beginning with the lower circle, progressing clockwise and finishing at the top.
- It CAN be done and opens valuable discussion with a little humor.