Filling a New (or Veteran!) Teacher's Stocking
December 17, 2003
I can't claim to be the originator of all of these ideas for stocking stuffers. Many of them I've collected from others through the years, while a few have been born of my own experiences.
- Facial tissues that contain lotion — great for cleaning most chalkboards and won't leave any residue.
- Shaving cream — cleans desks while students may “finger-paint” in it to complete math problems or other practice items.
- Small spray bottle — stores water necessary for clearing water soluble ink on overhead projectors.
- Pieces of green plastic 2-liter soda bottles — when cut into shapes, these make great highlighters and pointers for overhead projectors.
- Hairspray — for the obvious as well as for removing ink from clothing.
- Safety pins and bandages — may cut down on students' trips to the nurse.
- Hard candy — the Lifesaver metaphor is always a hit.