I Love Angry Parents
January 18, 2008
I love working with angry parents! This is my philosophy and procedure.
- The parent always has a valid complaint, according to how he/she understands something.
- Remain calm; don't be defensive; just listen.
- Ask the parent to tell you what he/she is angry about; then say something like 'I can understand why you would be angry about that; I am happy that you are your child's advocate.'
- Then say, 'Let's see what has already been done about this issue and what we can do to solve it.'
- Hopefully, what has already been done has been documented; I may have to tell the parent that I will need some time to work this problem out, but I will let her/him know as soon as I know something; I sometimes ask clarifying questions.
- I document every time I talk with a parent or child and keep enough details to answer upcoming questions.
- I follow through, investigate, and call the parent back.