Easy Transitioning for Little Ones
November 16, 2010
I taught preschool and primary grades. Here are some thoughts on transitioning from one activity to the next for those age groups:
- Have a visual schedule so transitions are expected.
- Play music.
- Give the children a fun way to move from place to place. It can be thematic. E.g., crawl like a spider when teaching spiders. It will make them WANT to change locations.
- Be ready for the next activity so there is no waiting.
- Start the activity right away. No need to wait for everyone to be settled. If you start, stragglers will join more quickly and the fast ones won't get “antsy.”
- Show them that they next activity is going to be fun. Kids transition best when engaged.