Team Teaching Aviation & Flight
March 14, 2013
I work in a team teaching setting. Our team develops a theme to carry across the subject areas, and each teacher develops a unit of study to promote the theme. Recently we did a theme on aviation.
- Language arts teachers had students write themes on aviation.
- Science teachers explained the basic physics of flight and made a balsa wood model planes to demonstrate it.
- Social studies teachers explored the history of flight.
- A guest speaker (a pilot) talked about aviation/flight. Math teachers found the guest speaker.
- The art teacher (me!) made paper airplanes with used Xerox copies.
- The phys. ed. teachers taught long jump techniques, which involved creating lift and forward movement.
- The music teacher taught songs about flight.
Students collected information and make up a notebook/packet about what they learn and what they contributed to the common theme.