Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) has announced that the House will vote the week of Nov. 13 on FY2024 education funding.
The House GOP’s proposal would cut education funding by 28 percent overall, and some essential programs even more. Specifically, it would:
- Slash Title I funding for high-poverty schools by 80 percent
- Eliminate more than 50,000 Head Start slots
- Eliminate Title II grants to recruit and retain educators
- Cripple programs for English learners
- Put higher education further out of reach for low-income students
- Block meaningful reform of federal student debt programs
- Wipe out as many as 224,000 educator jobs
Such cuts would make it impossible to fulfill America’s promise of equal opportunity. No matter where they live, regardless of family income, all our children deserve the opportunity for a great education that prepares them for the future.
Email your elected officials and urge them to oppose the draconian cuts in education funding proposed by the House GOP. If you've already done so, weigh in again!