Jack Kinnaman Scholarship
The NEA-Retired Jack Kinnaman Memorial Scholarship was created in memory of Jack Kinnaman, Vice President and former Advisory Council member of NEA-Retired. In addition, Jack represented NEA-Retired on the Fund for Children and Public Education and in numerous local, state, and national Association positions, both Active and Retired. He is most fondly remembered as NEA’s Cat in the Hat. Jack cared about the students, especially those who were financially impacted and needed a helping hand. It is his family’s wish that the scholarship go to such a student.
The applicant for the NEA-Retired Jack Kinnaman Memorial Scholarship must meet and submit by first class mail the following criteria by the postmarked deadline of April 15 of the calendar year. If submitted by overnight courier, the submission package must be received by April 15 of the calendar year. It is anticipated that one scholarship of $2,000.00 will be awarded. Electronic submission is not permitted. All items for the Scholarship Application must be submitted as one package including application, letters of recommendation, and official university/college transcript.
- Student must be a member of the NEA Student Program. Questions about the Student Program may be directed to: 202-822-7132.
- List the NEA Student Program activities in which you participate at the local, state, and national levels.
- Submit a brief paragraph demonstrating financial need and how this scholarship will help you complete your degree in teacher education.
- Submit an essay of up to 200 words describing your NEA Student Program activities on the local, state, and/or national level.
- Submit a copy of the most recent transcript with evidence of carrying a 2.5 or higher grade point average.
- Complete the application and submit it with two (2) letters of recommendation: one (1) from a faculty member or NEA Student Program advisor and one (1) from a non-relative.
Jack Kinnaman Scholarship Application (PDF 86KB, 2pgs)
Your submission must include all the above required material by the deadline date in one inclusive package; incomplete and/or submissions that do not meet the deadline date will be disqualified. Mail to:
Governance & Policy
1201 16th St., NW, 8th Floor
Washington, DC 20036
Attention: The NEA-Retired Jack Kinnaman Memorial Scholarship