Impact of Sequestration on Federal Education Programs - State-by-State
Across-the-board cuts known as “sequestration” are scheduled to go into effect on March 1, 2013 unless Congress acts. These cuts – nearly $3 billion for education alone -- would result in:
- Services cut or eliminated for millions of students.
- Funding for children living in poverty, special education, and Head Start slashed by billions.
- Ballooning class sizes.
- Elimination of after-school programs.
- Decimation of programs for our most vulnerable—homeless students, English language learners, and high-poverty, struggling schools.
- Slashing of financial aid for college students.
- Loss of tens of thousands of education jobs—at early childhood, elementary, secondary, and postsecondary levels.
See how services to students would be diminished, and how many education jobs will be lost in your state if Congress doesn’t act.