Educators in the United States are grappling with uncertainty about the upcoming school year, which in some states kicks off as early as mid-August. Many of them wonder how they will reengage students who may have suffered academic learning loss or help those that are overly anxious while meeting their social-emotional learning needs―due to the yearlong-plus pandemic.
In response to this concern, NEA is offering its members an opportunity to re-energize and enroll in virtual social-emotional learning (SEL) courses to learn how important it is to attend to the social and emotional needs that arise during times like these. NEA's SEL courses offer a powerful means to explore and express our emotions, build relationships, and support each other―children and adults alike.
We’re offering the following five fall SEL blended learning (facilitated) courses:
- SEL: Self-Awareness
- Learn how to accurately recognize emotions, thoughts, and values to accurately assess one’s strengths and limitations, with a well-grounded sense of confidence, optimism, and a “growth mindset.”
- SEL: Relationship-Skills
- Learn how to establish and maintain healthy and rewarding relationships with diverse individuals and groups to communicate clearly, listen well, cooperate with others, and to seek and offer help when needed.
- SEL: Social-Awareness
- Learn how to take the perspective of and empathize with others to understand social and ethical norms for behavior and to recognize family, school, and community resources and supports.
- SEL: Self-Management
- Learn how to regulate emotions, thoughts, and behaviors in different situations to set and work toward personal and academic goals.
- SEL: Responsible Decision-Making
- Learn how to make constructive choices about personal behavior and social interactions based on ethical standards, safety concerns, and social norms.
*Social-emotional learning fall courses will be facilitated by NEA-trained blended learning facilitators―and all SEL courses provide a certificate for 15-hours of professional development upon completion.
Enrollment is now open for our NEA SEL fall session (September 20 - October 29, 2021)
Registration will end by close of business on September 10, 2021.
You must be an NEA member to participate in these national blended learning courses.
Questions? Contact: Luis-Gustavo Martinez ([email protected])