Presidents’ Day Activities, Grades K-5
Presidents’ Day Is February 20, 2017
On this Presidents Day, celebrate the lives of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln, their contributions to the United States, and the lives and contributions of all our 44 Presidents.
Looking for Lincoln throughout His Life
Students in grades 1-3 gather different facts about Lincoln in a variety of hands-on activities.
Looking for Lincoln Through His Words
Students in grades 4-5 explore how Abraham Lincoln used the power of words in speeches, letters and other documents.
George Washington: Center Piece of a Nation (
PDF, 1.42 MB, 6 pgs.)
Students in grades 4-6 discuss the leadership characteristics that made Washington a good president and whether these characteristics are still important.
Looking for Lincoln’s Views on Slavery
Students in grades 5-8 examine Abraham Lincoln’s views on slavery and race, which evolved both throughout his early life and throughout his presidency.
More Lessons & Background Resources
George Washington: A National Treasure
Explore the life and Presidency of George Washington through this online exhibit from the National Portrait Gallery. Find puzzles, quizzes and fun historical features to learn about the life and times of George Washington.
Under His Hat
A K-12 thematic resource on Lincoln using some of the 52,000 Lincoln and Lincoln-era artifacts and documents the Lincoln Collection. Each resource includes activities that can be correlated with objectives in the National Common Core Standards.
Is it Presidents or President’s or Presidents’ Day? Is it an official holiday?
- Teacher Guide: George Washington: A National Treasure
- Family Guide: George Washington: A National Treasure
- Meet George Washington - includes a timeline and biography
- Lincoln/Net: Lesson Plans - 15 lessons
- Abraham Lincoln Historical Digitization Project - history, songs, and writings
- The Time of the Lincolns: Teacher’s Guide
Activities & Printables
- Activities, Worksheets and Crafts for Presidents Day
- Patriotic Craft Activities for Kids - 9 activities
- Looking for Lincoln: Interactive Maps
Games & Quizzes
Portrait for Kids
Explore the Landsdowne Portrait of Washington in this interactive feature.
Quiz: Lincoln Myths and Misconceptions
Answer all 15 questions and submit for a grade.
- Presidents’ Day Quiz for Beginners
- Presidents’ Day Quiz for Experts
- Presidential Bloopers, Blunders, and Scandals
- Positively Presidential
- Presidential True/False - 7 question quiz
- Presidential Pets - 20 question quiz
- First Kids
Video & Audio
Presidents Day Video
11 videos about selected Presidents from History.com
American Experience: The Presidents
Complete documentaries of FDR, Truman, Johnson, Nixon, Carter, Reagan, and George H. W. Bush, can be watched online.
Lincoln’s Legend and Legacy (60 minutes)
3-part online video, transcript, readings.
Looking for Lincoln
Online video in chapters, plus 9 other clips. Teachers should preview, as language has been questioned.
American Experience: The Assassination of Abraham Lincoln
Watch online. Approximately 90 minutes.
last updated November 16, 2016