NCESP Constitution and Bylaws
ARTICLE I – NAME
The name of this organization shall be the National Council for Educational Support Professionals (NCESP).
ARTICLE II – PURPOSE
The NCESP shall be a special interest council within NEA and shall have as its general purpose the representation of its members in all matters relating to Education Support Professionals (ESP). In order to accomplish these general purposes, NCESP shall have, among others, the following specific objectives:
- To speak with a common voice on all matters affecting ESP.
- To develop programs which, when implemented by NEA, will have a positive impact on the issues faced by ESP members.
- To impact the development and delivery of ESP training. The council shall make recommendations to NEA to improve the quality, development and delivery of programs to ESP members.
- To identify and support candidates for NEA offices, as well as ESP At-Large candidates, who will actively work for implementation of NCESP adopted programs and positions.
ARTICLE III – MEMBERSHIP
Section 1 – EligibilityIndividual membership in NCESP shall be open to anyone who is an active NEA/ESP member. All individual members have one vote. Associate membership in NCESP shall be open to anyone who is not an active NEA/ESP member. Associate members have no voting rights. Organization membership shall be open to all NEA State affiliates as well as all state affiliate locals. Organization membership shall have weighted votes which apply to policy and issue items only. State Affiliate Sponsorship shall be open to NEA State Affiliates. Sponsorship shall have no voting rights.
The membership year shall be from September 1 to August 31.
Section 2 – Membership Year
Section 3 – Dues
- Annual individual dues for an NCESP member shall be $20.
- Annual individual dues (non-voting) for an NCESP member shall be $10.
- Annual organizational membership dues for an NCESP
Organization shall be:
1-100 members: $ 75, 2 votes
101-200: $150, 4 votes
201-300 members: $325, 8 votes
301-plus members: $400, 11 votes
- State Affiliate Sponsorship shall be:
The council shall not deny membership to individuals on the basis of race, religion, creed, age, gender, sexual orientation, ethnic or cultural heritage.
Section 4 – Individual Rights
ARTICLE IV – POLICY MAKING BODY OF NCESPThe council shall be the policy making body of NCESP. It shall also approve the budget, elect officers and regional directors. Powers not specifically delegated to the officers and regional directors shall be vested by the Council.
ARTICLE V - OFFICERS AND REGIONAL DIRECTORS
Section 1 – Officers and Regional Directors
The officers of NCESP shall be a president, vice president, secretary and treasurer.
The regional directors shall be Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Midwest, Western, Pacific and Northeast.
Section 2 – Qualifications
- Each candidate for office shall be an Education Support Professional member of NEA and an active member of NCESP for 2 years.
- A member of the NCESP Executive Committee shall not, at the same time, be a member of the NEA Board of Directors.
Section 3 –Terms of Office
- The president and secretary shall be elected to a three-year term on the same cycle.
- The vice president and treasurer shall be elected to a three-year term on an alternate cycle of the year the election of the president and secretary.
- The regional directors shall be elected to three-year terms.
Section 4 – Responsibilities and Duties of Officers
- Responsibilities and Duties of the President
- The president shall be the chief executive officer of NCESP.
- The president may call and shall preside at all meetings of the Executive Committee and at all general meetings of NCESP.
- The president shall sign contracts and other legal documents connected with the business affairs and professional activities of NCESP in its name.
- The president shall appoint all committees and task forces and may rescind appointments of chairpersons and members of committees and task forces with executive committee approval.
- The president shall be one of the authorized signatures for all NCESP accounts.
- The president and/or designee shall be the official representative and spokesman for the NCESP except in such cases in which its function is specifically designated to another.
- The president and/or designee shall approve all vouchers.
- The president may recommend NCESP members to outside organizations.
- The president shall have release time available, reimbursed by NCESP, if funded by the budget.
- The president shall serve as liaison to the NEA ESP Board of Directors.
- The president shall be an ex officio member of all committees and task forces except the elections committee.
- Responsibilities and Duties of the Vice President
- The vice president shall assume the duties of the president in the absence of the president.
- The vice president shall perform any other duties and tasks assigned by the president.
- The vice president shall coordinate the annual membership plan.
- Responsibilities and Duties of the Secretary
- The secretary shall keep the official minutes of all meetings and maintain the official files.
- The secretary shall perform any other duties or tasks assigned by the president.
- Responsibilities and Duties of the Treasurer
- The treasurer shall assure that accurate accounts of receipts and disbursements are kept and shall prepare quarterly reports for both the Executive Committee and the general membership.
- The treasurer shall collect dues at the NCESP conferences and other NEA activities.
- The treasurer shall chair the budget committee.
- The treasurer shall perform any other duties or tasks assigned by the president.
- The treasurer shall be one of the authorized signatures for all NCESP accounts.
- Responsibilities and Duties of the Regional Directors
- The regional directors shall represent their regions at all NCESP meetings.
- The regional directors shall conduct regional council meetings at the NEA regional meetings.
- The regional directors shall maintain regular communication with the state contact and member associations within their region.
- The regional directors shall perform other duties as assigned by the president.
- To provide the NCESP president with a list of qualified candidates from NCESP membership and to actively promote the appointment of those members to appointed bodies.
Section 5 – Successions and Vacancies
- The vice president shall act in the absence of the president and, in the case of death or resignation of the president, shall succeed for the unexpired term. If for any reason the vice president cannot fulfill the succession, an interim successor shall be elected from the Executive Committee until a successor can be elected at the next regular meeting of the NCESP where elections are held to fill the unexpired term.
- In the event of a vacancy in the office of vice president, secretary and/or treasurer, an interim officer shall be elected from and by the Executive Committee until a successor can be elected at the next regular meeting of the NCESP where elections are held to fill the unexpired term
- In the event of a vacancy in the office of regional director the president, with approval of the Executive Committee, shall appoint an interim director until the next regular NCESP meeting where elections are held. At that time the affected region shall elect a director to fill the unexpired term.
Section 6 – Recall and Removal of Officers and Regional Directors
An officer or regional director may be recalled or removed from office at any regular annual meeting of the Council in a secret ballot by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the ballots cast by delegates present and voting. Forty-five days prior to any regular scheduled meeting, a petition specifying charges and requesting such an election must be signed by 40% of active NCESP members and must be filed with the NCESP Secretary. Notification of this ballot, with charges, shall be mailed to all members 30 days prior to scheduling meeting.
Article VI - EXECUTIVE COMMITTEEMembers of the Executive Committee shall be the president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, and regional directors.
Section 1 – Membership
- If no ethnic minorities are elected to the Executive Committee of the NCESP, there shall be a special election at the RA, for the purpose of electing an ethnic minority director-at-large for a one year term. This person must be a minority as defined by the U.S. Bureau of Census.
- There shall be one, non-voting member of the executive committee selected by members of the NEA ESP Directors to serve as a liaison between the two groups.
Section 2 – Responsibilities and Duties of the Executive Committee
- The Executive Committee shall assist the president in identifying members for NEA committees and task forces. (external)
- The Executive Committee shall review committee plans, receive committee reports and act upon committee recommendations. (internal/external)
- The Executive Committee shall review appointments to committees and task forces and shall have the right to make recommendations to the president for recession of any appointment. (internal)
- The Executive Committee shall implement programs adopted at all official meetings of NCESP.
- The Executive Committee shall determine policy between official meetings of NCESP.
- The Executive Committee shall carry out all policies and programs in accordance with NCESP Bylaws.
- The Executive Committee shall submit a proposed budget to the membership at an NCESP meeting held in conjunction with the NEA Representative Assembly.
- The Executive Committee shall fill vacancies occurring in the offices of vice-president, secretary and/or treasurer per Article IV section 5b.
- The Executive Committee shall determine the date and location of NCESP meetings.
- The Executive Committee shall report its actions to the members.
Section 3 – Standing Committees
Election Committee – shall be appointed by the President and responsible for distributing, collecting, tallying and reporting results of all NCESP elections. The election committee shall be charged with all election challenges and their decision shall be final.
Budget Committee – shall be comprised of the executive committee and is chaired by the treasurer of NCESP.
ARTICLE VII - MEETINGS
Section 1 – Executive Committee Meetings
The Executive Committee shall meet at least two times yearly. Any officer or regional director of the Executive Committee may be removed by action of the Executive Committee after two consecutive absences.
Section 2 – Meetings
The Council shall meet at least twice yearly. The date and location for the first meeting shall be determined by the Executive Committee. The second meeting shall be held in conjunction with the NEA Representative Assembly. Regional Council meetings shall be held at the NEA Regional Meetings.
Section 3 – Quorum
A quorum shall consist of a majority of the members and member association representatives registered at an official council meeting.
Section 4 – Quorum of the Executive Committee
A quorum of the Executive Committee shall be a majority plus one.
Section 5 – Standing Rules
The Executive Committee shall submit standing rules, when established, to the body. Adoption shall require a two thirds vote of those members and member association representatives present and voting.
The current revision of Robert's Rules of Order shall be the parliamentary authority of the Council, subject to the Bylaws and such special rules that have been adopted.
Section 6 – Parliamentary Authority
Article VIII - Nominations, Balloting and Elections
Section 1 – NominationsCandidates for elected office must be nominated by an NCESP member in accordance with the election procedure.
The elections committee shall conduct the balloting for officers under procedures established by the Council.
Section 2 – Balloting
Section 3 – Elections
- Officers of NCESP shall be elected at the meeting held in conjunction with the NEA Representative Assembly.
- Each individual member shall have one vote, provided said member is an active member of NCESP. The president, vice president, secretary, treasurer and ethnic minority director-at-large (if applicable) shall be elected by all members. Regional Directors shall be elected by members from the appropriate region.
- All candidates for each office receiving a majority of those eligible, present and voting shall be declared elected Candidates for office who fail to achieve a majority vote will be involved in a runoff election in which plurality will determine the outcome.
- The election committee shall count the votes. The results shall be reported immediately to the president and all candidates.
- Uncontested elections shall be awarded by acclamation.
- The executive committee may bring a recommendation for NEA candidates for officers and executive committee. This process shall take place at the NCESP membership meeting at the NEA ESP conference. Candidates will receive the council’s endorsement upon receiving fifty percent plus one of the votes. Votes will be by secret ballots.
- The executive committee may bring a recommendation for NEA At-large candidates. This process shall take place at the NCESP membership meeting at the NEA Representative Assembly. Candidates will receive the council’s endorsement upon receiving fifty percent plus one of the votes. Votes will be by secret ballots
Article IX - AMENDMENTS
Section 1 – VotingThese Constitution and Bylaws may be amended at the Regular Annual Meeting of the NCESP, in conjunction with the NEA RA, in a secret-ballot vote by a two thirds (2/3) vote of the ballots cast by delegates present and voting.
Section 2 – SubmittalAny proposed amendment to these bylaws shall be sent to the president of NCESP by May 1. Copies of the proposed amendment must be sent to all Organizational and Individual members at least 30 days prior to the council meeting.
Section 3 – Non-substantive ChangesThe Executive Committee is authorized to make non substantive housekeeping changes to these Bylaws.
Article X - COUNCIL DISSOLUTIONUpon the dissolution of the National Council for Education Support Professionals, all assets belonging to the Council will be transferred to the National Education Association. Any assets transferred should be earmarked for Education Support Professionals programs.
NCESP Constitution and Bylaws as of July 2009