30 Questions to Ask During the First Days of School
Make Your Life Easier by Learning School Procedures Early On
To make your first few months easier, get the answers to these questions by the end of the first two weeks. Put the information in a place where you can easily retrieve it.
- Where and how do I secure supplies (chalk, erasers, paper, etc.)?
- How do I check out regular and supplemental texts?
- What are the procedures for use of audiovisual equipment?
- How do I make arrangements for a field trip?
- How do I sign my class up for the library?
- How do I order films?
- What are the procedures for taking a class to an assembly?
- When am I responsible for locking my room?
- What machines are available for me to use (copier, computer, VCR, laminator, etc.)?
- Where can I get free and inexpensive materials?
- With whom should I consult as I make decisions on the use of supplemental materials?
- What are the attendance accounting procedures for students, and what are my responsibilities in attendance recordkeeping?
- What do I do with any money I collect?
- What are the grading guidelines for the school system? What documentation must I provide?
- How do I fill out an interim report?
- To whom do I report serious problems with a student's health or behavior?
- What student records must I maintain in cumulative folders?
- What procedures do other teachers in my school follow for contacting parents by letter or phone?
- What should I expect from a parent conference?
- What should I do if I must leave my room during class?
- What should I do in case of a medical emergency in my classroom?
- How do I handle a fight between students?
- How do I report a disciplinary problem?
- How do I arrange for a substitute?
- How do I apply for personal, professional, vacation, or sick leave?
- What is my salary and what deductions are taken?
- Are there any unwritten rules for teachers in my school?
- What is my personnel file and what is in it?
- Where do I go if I am having trouble?
- How do I know if I am doing a good job?
Source: Tools for Success, A Handbook for First Year Teachers' Professional Growth. The North Carolina Association of Educators.