Lily Eskelsen García
"We must measure what matters and put students’ needs at the center of the system once again...We know what is at stake, and it is why we are educators. It is why we are fearless and why we will not be silent.”
Lily Eskelsen García Takes the Helm of the NEA
New president leads largest labor union in the country with historic team of newly elected officers.
We Are Fearless and We Will Not Be Silent
NEA president-elect Lily Eskelsen García concluded NEA’s 152nd Annual Meeting with a strong message to those “who don’t know what they’re talking about”: We will not be silent.
Latinos Poised to Become Economic Leaders, Says Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute
As the nation celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month, a group of politicians, business, and education leaders — including NEA Vice President Lily Eskelsen García — gathered in Washington, DC for the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute’s Public Policy Conference.
Bring Back Our Girls
This morning I, like the rest of the world, watched the news for some sign of progress in finding the more than 200 Nigerian girls kidnapped on April 14th from their dormitories at their school — a rural school where families had the chance to give their daughters an education.
Invite an NEA leader to speak at your event.
IN THE NEWS
- SXSWedu: Steady as she goes (Austin Chronicle, March 16, 2015)
- Does No Child Left Behind's testing regime work? (U.S. News & World Report, March 16, 2015)
- A union call to scale back school testing: Guest opinion (NJ.com, September 5, 2014)
- Everything I know about what kids need I learned in the Utah classroom (Intermountain Catholic, August 29, 2014)
- Teachers Paying Out Of Pocket For School Supplies (CBS New York, August 25, 2014)
- High Stakes Testing is Toxic (New America Media, August 22, 2014)
- On a Mission to Galvanize Teachers and Parents (LA Times, August 22, 2014)
- Lunch lady rises to teachers union leader and takes on all comers, bluntly (Washington Post, August 11, 2014)
- First Latina elected head of the nation’s largest teachers’ union (Voxxi, July 8, 2014)
Do You Know Any Rabble Rousers?
Here are some you should meet!
- Learn more about Lily Eskelsen García’s book, Rabble Rousers: Fearless Fighters for Social Justice.
- Remarks at Rally for Gary Peters and Mark Schauer at Wayne State University in Detroit (November 1, 2014)
- We Are Fearless and We Will Not Be Silent (July 6, 2014)