Addressing Rude Behavior
Research-Based Methods of Teaching Social Skills
Every generation bemoans the rude behavior of young people. What's an educator to do?
Researchers agree that there are three essential aspects of teaching social skills: modeling, direct instruction, and practice.
Here are some examples of educators using these three methods:
- All Aboard - A New Jersey bus driver shows a firm but caring attitude toward the students on her route.
- Acting Out - A fun way to demonstrate virtues.
- Social Skills Kids Need To Succeed - Some simple topics to begin your direct instruction.
- From Sidewalk To Workplace - An English teacher teaches appropriate language to his high school students.
- Students Talk About Anti-Swearing Campaign - They say how the school felt before the campaign and after it started.