We Are the Present, We Are the Future
We Are the Present, We Are the Future
Student Program Highlights
WANTED: National Student Leaders
Are you self motivated? Are you enthusiastic about all you have gained from being a member of the NEA Student Program? Are you interested in a leadership opportunity on the national level in Washington, DC? Well…here’s what you have been waiting for! We are currently seeking student members for the upcoming school year who are interested in serving on some NEA Committees. These positions are appointments (no speech or voting required). You just need to complete the application cover, an essay and two letters of recommendation. Applications are due August 22nd.
Introducing the 2014 - 2016 Student Chair, Chelsey Jo Herrig!
I am Chelsey Jo Herrig. Most people know me by Chelsey Jo. I grew up in Jackson, MN, a small town in southwestern Minnesota. I am a recent graduate of Southwest Minnesota State University (SMSU) majoring in Elementary Education with a mathematics endorsement and minor in Special Education. The love and support of my grandma Marian, mother Kristi and Brother Nathan has helped me rise to any occasion with positivity and drive.
Before being elected as the NEA Student Program Chair, I served as the SMSU Education Minnesota Student Program Co-President. Although most of my experiences come from the national level, I know the importance and power of each college chapter across the country. I have served on the NEA’s Sexual Orientation and Gender Identification Committee. Following my term on SOGI, I was honored to represent the NEA Student Program as one of three, NEA Student Board of Directors.
My previous two summers were spent as a nanny for two amazing boys. My evenings were spent coaching baseball and gymnastics.
Our passion is contagious! My hope for the next two years is to empower, educate, and organize our student program members to strengthen our voices as the future of education and the future of NEA. While there may be many challenges ahead, I am confident we work together to come out ahead. After all, the NEA Student Program (NEA-SP) is the largest and most influential student group for future educators. I am beyond excited and blessed to be on this journey with all of you! Let’s share our passion!
A big THANK YOU to our outgoing 2013-2014 Advisory Committee of Student Members! They have given countless hours to the Student Program. They lead our national student Connections Conference in Las Vegas, November 2013 that focused on The New Generation of Education Leaders. They helped implement the Degrees Not Debt and spring membership initiatives. As their last committee action, they will lead us through an amazing Student Leadership Conference in Denver to help prepare our states and chapters for the 2014-15 membership year. KUDOS to you all—we cannot THANK YOU enough!
NEA’s annual magazine for NEA student members. It offers a wealth of resources to those new to the teaching profession. Each issue offers help with job searches, provides classroom tips for surviving the first year in the classroom, recommends strategies for parental and community outreach, and much more.
NEA Student Program History
The Student National Education Association (SNEA) was founded in 1937 as a department of NEA. The SNEA Representative Assembly almost 50 years later voted to end its affiliation status and merge with NEA as a program -- The NEA Student Program.
Today we have:
- 55,000 members
- more than 1100 college/university campus chapters
- 50 state programs
- a national, full-time, elected chairperson
- a nine-member, appointed advisory committee of student members
- Student Leadership and Professional Issues Conference
We strive to:
- promote community partnerships
- foster leadership through pre-professional opportunities and peer mentoring
- promote membership among diverse populations
- provide networking opportunities
- supplement formal teacher-education training
- promote the national accreditation of teacher-education training
- recruit and retain pre-professional members, and
- maintain a presence at all NEA conferences.COMMENTS:
The NEA Student Program is Essential
- Thousands of educators and educational support professionals across the country retire each year. We must take aggressive steps to replace these educators and ensure quality education in every classroom. NEA supports educators who are well qualified and prepared for their careers.
- Also, one out of three NEA Student Program members becomes an NEA leader.
Become our Fan!