Three million members strong, the National Education Association is the largest employee organization and labor union in the country. Join us today.
We Are NEA
We Stand Together
Be part of the movement. Becoming a member of the National Education Association connects you with a movement of educators supporting each other. We are a community that will help you advocate for the funding, resources, and support you and your students deserve. This includes:
- Having a voice at the table to advocate for improved working and student learning conditions, including winning increased pay and benefits
- Gaining professional development and leadership training
- Joining forces to make a difference in the social justice issues that matter most to you and affects your students’ lives
- Enhancing educator rights and offering guidance, advice, and, if necessary, legal representation
- Providing all eligible association members with professional liability insurance
- Improving your buying power and saving money with NEA’s Member Benefits program
How to Join the Association
There are 6 membership categories for the National Education Association.
- Active Professional/Certified - Click to Join
For individuals employed in public education in a certified position in a public school district or institution of higher learning or whose job is primarily education.
- Active Education Support Professional (ESP)/Classified - Click to Join
For individuals who are employed in public education in a support position in a public school district or institution of higher learning or whose job is primarily in education.
- Retired - Click to Join
For individuals no longer employed in public education and who are eligible to receive a pension from an educational employment institution.
- Pre-Retired Subscription - Click to Join
For individuals who are currently working and are an NEA Active Professional or ESP, you may join as a pre-retired member in advance of retirement.
- Aspiring Educator Membership - Click to Join
Aspiring Educator Membership is available if you are enrolled in a post-secondary program that is preparatory for employment in a position that will make you eligible for Active (educator) membership in the NEA.
- Community Ally - Click to Join
For individuals interested in advancing the cause of public education and who are not eligible for any of the NEA membership categories appearing above.