When we hear each other’s stories, our understanding of each other grows!
That power is modeled in books that feature diverse characters and diverse experiences. To expand that power, share your unique reading experiences and learn more about how stories can impact our lives.
In celebrating our diverse nation of readers for Read Across America, we’re asking educators, students, and others to share their own stories about books and reading experiences by reflecting on one of these prompts:
- a book that impacted you
- a book or story that is important to you
- a person or a story that got you into reading
- someone who changed your life by sharing a book or story
- a person who introduced you to the joys of books and reading
- a time when you heard or read a story that changed you or helped you make a change
- how you’ve been shaped by books and reading
- your favorite or an important reading experience
We will select stories to feature on NEA’s website, on our social media channels, in print or email publications, and at special events.
Need inspiration? Check out some stories and our resources to help you create space for storytelling of all kinds.
Use the form below to submit stories as:
- a written, personal essay of no more than 900 words
- 2–4-minute video of you sharing your story, song, or poem