Through NEA’s Leaders for Just Schools program, NEA is building a national network of educators who are prepared to advance equitable outcomes for students. Created by educators for educators, the curriculum allows participants to:
- Dive into understanding equity
- Investigate how bias impacts conditions of teaching and learning
- Explore ways in which they can improve school culture so that every student has the opportunity to succeed
The curriculum is grounded in real-life experiences in schools across the country, so the content is real, relatable, and actionable.
By participating in the Leaders for Just Schools program, participants will:
- Learn to advocate for students using levers in the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) to combat institutional inequities in their schools and communities through the lens of racial justice in education
- Be prepared to build student-centered inclusive plans to create just and equitable learning environments for all
- Have a network of support as they they share what they've learned with their school communities and implement change
Leaders in Action
Leaders for Just Schools Program Report
The Leaders for Just Schools (LJS) Program Report outlines all aspects of the program: It provides a complete overview of program structure, major activities, and timeline; resource creation and extended learning opportunities; and clear and undeniable evidence of the work of LJS participants in their own schools, districts, and communities.
Through Leaders for Just Schools, we are building a nationwide network of educators who cultivate equitable, safe, and just learning environments for all students across race, background, ability, and ZIP code. The program prepares educators to take informed action to advocate for their students by leveraging educator voice and input on key decisions around school improvement to ensure equitable outcomes in schools across the country
INTERESTED IN TAKING ACTION?
If you're committed to working for justice in public education, reach out to your state affiliate president and share your interest in the Leaders for Just Schools program. Each state affiliate can submit up to five participants for the next national cohort, which will begin work in Summer 2021.
- NEA Center for Education Policy and Practice
- [email protected]
This experience gave me the knowledge and support to create lasting change and greater equity in our policy, practice, and performance.