Through NEA’s Leaders for Just Schools program, NEA is building a national network of educators who are prepared to advance equitable outcomes for students. Created by educators for educators, the curriculum allows participants to:
- dive into understanding equity
- investigate how bias impacts conditions of teaching and learning
- explore ways in which they can improve school culture so that every student has the opportunity to succeed.
The curriculum is grounded in real-life experiences in schools across the country, so the content is real, relatable, and actionable.
By participating in the Leaders for Just Schools program, participants will:
- learn to advocate for students using levers in the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) to combat institutional inequities in their schools and communities through the lens of racial justice in education
- be prepared to build student-centered inclusive plans to create just and equitable learning environments for all.
- have a network of support as they they share what they've learned with their school communities and implement change.
Leaders in Action
INTERESTED IN TAKING ACTION?
If you're committed to working for justice in public education, reach out to your state affiliate president and share your interest in the Leaders for Just Schools program. Each state affiliate can submit up to five participants for the next national cohort, which will begin work in Summer 2021.
- NEA Center for Education Policy and Practice
This experience gave me the knowledge and support to create lasting change and greater equity in our policy, practice, and performance.